Sarah & Mark | Babymoon in Nice, France
There are so many reasons to celebrate in life! As a Nice, France romantic couples photographer, I’m so fortunate to be able to capture these special moments of celebration to cherish forever! Sarah and Mark were in the South of France to celebrate their babymoon and Sarah’s upcoming birthday, a milestone birthday! What’s a babymoon, you ask? A babymoon is sort of like a honeymoon, after a wedding, but instead of celebrating a new marriage, you’re celebrating these special moments together as a couple before your baby arrives.
On their babymoon, Sarah and Mark were visiting Nice, France and other points along the French Riviera. Their little girl is due in about four months or so, and this was an ideal time to have a getaway before their lives become very busy! Sarah contacted me about a couples photo session in Nice, and I was so happy to share with her my ideas and incorporate hers, too.
A babymoon isn’t a maternity session, but of course, elements of a maternity session can be incorporated, such as props like ultrasounds, booties, little pajamas, or anything that is fun in preparation for a new baby’s arrival. While these things are fun, they aren’t mandatory, just some fun options. While Sarah thought some maternity style photos could be cute, she was more interested in celebrating their babymoon and her upcoming birthday, so we did a bit of both!
All of my photo sessions can be customized, however in Nice I have an itinerary I just love, and this is generally how it goes:
- We meet at the Palace of Justice, where there is a square, a clock tower, and some chairs, so you can sit down if you arrive early. It’s a vibrant part of the old town of Nice (Vieux Nice) and is a central meeting point from pretty much any hotel or Airbnb
- After we meet and I confirm with you the type of photo session you’d love and other details (as I specialize in romantic imagery, most of my clients love romantic photos), we begin our walk around the old town.
- I love the old town because it’s so colorful. Most buildings are painted in coral color, yellow, pinks–as Nice was once a part of Italy, you really feel the Italian flair here and the light is very nice in old town, plus it’s super fun to walk around!
- I have my favorite locations in old town, and I can’t wait to show my clients around and capture them in some iconic spots.
- After old town, typically we go to one of two places. We either go to the top of Castle Hill (Colline du Chateau), which has magnificent light overlooking the marina, or onto the beach itself. Castle Hill is a park, with stunning views over Nice. The only issue is, it’s quite a walk up, there is an elevator, but it’s often closed. Many clients are great with the walk, but some clients prefer to skip it. In this case, we go to the beach, which is not a sand beach, but filled with large stones. It’s quite unique, and the blue color of the sea is stunning.
I so enjoyed walking around Old Town with Sarah and Mark! We talked about travel, their life back in the Bay Area of California, and their excitement about the new addition to their family. Sarah remembered to bring flat shoes along with her, which is always a great idea, as it’s difficult to walk sometimes in heels all around the city (not very comfortable, usually). I took them all around Old Town and to one of my favorite squares, which looks like it could be in Italy! It has an adorable fountain and clock tower (there are many clock towers in Nice, all spectacular).
We finished up Old Town with views of the magnificent church, and then decided to stop by the seaside briefly, to finish up our morning with the beautiful blue Mediterranean. By this time it was getting pretty warm and bright, and the beach was full, so we elected just to stay up top on the Promenade des Anglais, the wide boardwalk in Nice, which is a popular gathering spot, great for people watching, walking, running and cycling, too.
The time came that I always dread, saying au revoir to my couples! It’s always such a pleasure to meet my clients, learn more about them, and share in their happy memories. There’s nothing quite like photographing a wonderful couple, and Nice is such a special place!
I wish Sarah and Mark the very best with their new baby, and a happy birthday to Sarah, and can’t wait to see them again!